Manila: Philippine authorities said on Thursday they had foiled a possible terror attack after arresting a Kuwaiti man and his Syrian wife, both alleged members of ISIS.
Police nabbed H.D and R.Z at an upscale district of Manila following a tip-off from the Kuwaiti authorities late last month, but the arrests were kept secret while Filipino authorities investigated further, officials said.
The pair had entered the country repeatedly in recent months as part of plans for “a bombing operation” either in the Philippines or Kuwait, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre told reporters.
The justice chief said the two will be charged on the basis of immigration laws as they are not properly documented. Deportation procedures will then follow according to Aguirre.
The Filipino official said the suspect would be deported to Kuwait while his wife would be sent back to Qatar from where she entered the Philippines.
The Kuwaiti embassy in Manila could not be contacted for comment.